Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cookies and... Beer?

Let's try some word association:
Peanut Butter?
(Jelly.)

Peaches?
(Cream.)

Captain?
(Tennille.)

Cookies?
(Beer.)

All good things must come to an end, my friends, and it is with that that I bring to you our final
BEER WEEK
recipe.

~•Recipe #5•~

♥STOUT COOKIES♥ 
Adapted from Carolyn Smagalski's recipe on BellaOnline 

Makes about 40 cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. butter
2/3 c. granulated sugar
2/3 c. brown sugar 
1 egg 
1 T. molasses
3 T. stout
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves
2 c. oats
3/4 c. dried cranberries

Directions:
  1. HEAT oven to 375°F and lightly grease cookie sheets.
  2. SIFT together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  Set aside. 
  3. CREAM butter until light and fluffy.  ADD sugars and beat until light and fluffy again.
  4. BLEND in egg, molasses, stout, and vanilla.  
  5. ALTERNATELY ADD flour mixture and oats, blending in between additions.
  6. FOLD in dried cranberries.
  7. DROP by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheets and bake for 9-11 minutes or until done (mine took 8 minutes)
The site notes some health benefits at the bottom which I will relay to make myself feel better help you track your daily vitamin intake:
Health Benefit: Rich in fiber, calcium, vitamin B-complex vitamins, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, zinc, copper

There.  Feel better?

These cookies were pretty good.  I tried adding chocolate chips to the last couple sheets of cookies and I wasn't too into it.  They're definitely good and chewy but I'll admit, if I hadn't seen stout in the ingredients list, I wouldn't have known there was stout in them at all.  If you're looking for a recipe that really showcases stout, this is not it.  However, if you're looking for some good, spicy cookies and want to brag to your friends that there's beer in them, these are your best bet.

Then again, you may want to ask yourself why you're bragging to your friends that you have beer in your cookies.  

Weirdo.

*shakes head*

5 comments:

  1. ha ha ha! That was funny (the last comment!) I LOVE how the design of your fingernails!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop thinking about the brownies, but I just wanted to say how adorable those little polka dot fingernails are.

    Where are we with the new job and new cupcake shop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up on my SITS on this cold day with a warm cup of coffee. Drinks and food...you got my attention!
    - Cougs
    www.cougar-tales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look super yummy and I love that you list the health benefits...there's a reason right there to eat a cookie with beer in it, right?

    Your manicure is adorable!!! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think it's weird-er that after you said "capatin" i thought "crunch":) cute blog, glad i found it!

    ReplyDelete