Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Wish I Could Gripe About My Job...

...but I don't even have one.

You probably recall me recently mentioning a little something about a job interview.

Since then, you've probably been going NUTS wondering whatever happened with that. 

Well...

I got the job!

Fantastico, right?

Wrong :(

The job was not at all what I thought it was going to be.  Though I understood that I was going to be performing administrative support at a warehouse facility, I neglected to fully understand just how bad it would be.

They said that they had recently experienced a rather high employee turnover but that they were looking to start 2010 with a clean slate and were excited about new people coming in.  They made it sound like the turnover was on their part (i.e., they let people go), but the more I got to know the place, the more it seemed like maybe the turnover was really more like people jumping off a sinking ship.

I'm not sure what tipped me off first: sharing a computer with 2-3 people, making a list of necessary office supplies (i.e. pens, highlighters, staplers) only to be told, "Hmm... we can probably get most of this stuff," or the stack of "Failure to Pay" notices on the receptionist's desk.  Oh!  Oh!  I know, maybe it was the fact that there were only TWO phones in the whole office that rang when someone called in; however, even though these phones were situated on two women's desks, those two women did not answer the phones.  Instead, if I heard the phone ring, wherever I was in the office I had to drop everything and book it up to the front to answer the phone right in front of the woman sitting at the desk.  WHAT?!

Ugh. 

I let them know yesterday that I wouldn't be coming back so now I'm back to square one:

Sitting on the couch, answering wanted ads online, and watching episode after episode of "Snapped" on the DVR.

Someone better hire me soon, the hubby's starting to worry ;)


© Anne Taintor

11 comments:

  1. Aww, sweetie, that sucks! I'm so sorry it wasn't better. I'm glad you didn't have to stick with a job that made you miserable. Good luck finding one you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on finding something better soon. You're better of just getting out of a crazy place like that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww hun that bites.. but ya know God ain't done with you yet... when one door closes another one opens and now ya know the thigns to look for in an interview lol... high turnover and clean slate mean people are RUNNING lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps this is so obvious it has gone unnoticed but um....maybe you could model. Seriously, do you ever look in a mirror?? Your gorg!! If I could afford to pay a model I'd make you the newest face of BUBBALou Bands! Their not just for children, as you know.

    Hmmm...what other options are there? Well, you seem to have a love of vintage things (part of the reason we gel you and I) any vintage stores hiring near you? How 'bout you just sneak across the border to Canada, we still have plenty of jobs and free health care! Not that I'm bragging....

    Bestest of luck Miss Dot, I'm sure someone will see how great you are and snatch you up for the perfect job soon!

    BlogBaby's BabyMama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh crud, I misspelled "they're" with "their"....argh, I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure something better will come along. It's important to enjoy your job unless you really need one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack - sorry it didn't work out. You'll find something better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to listen to yourself. My sister in law got hired to do secretarial work the job turned out to be quite shady. She just couldn’t work in that environment.

    Visiting from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH no, that really sucks. But good thing you figured it out pretty quick!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's tough break. I'm thinking you don't want to worry about your paycheck clearing. Good luck with the job hunting!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi from SITS! I am glad that I found your blog! I will have to read older posts to find out more about you...but do you like children? You could always nanny???? Just a suggestion...one I am thinking about...I too am unemployed...thanks to some layoffs....GOOD LUCK with the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete