Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's like college all over again!


brought to you by spamberly's Etsy shop

Welcome to my second un-Mustache Monday in a row.

•[sad face]•

I know you're getting that déjà vu kinda feeling, but I'm doing this little thing on my other blog that I wanna share with you.

I'm having a BEER WEEK.

Yep, that's right, a Beer Week.

Week full o' beer.

Una semana de cerveza.
(That's what I get for living so close to the Mexican border)

So let me begin this fun by telling you about this one night.

That one night, I was feeling persnickety.

But I was missing something:
 I was missing one special
[[KEY]]
secret ingredient that I needed from a friend.

One that I needed for a new cupcake recipe.

Well, guess what?

I GOT THE INGREDIENT:

{STOUT}




Strong, dark, robust, home-brewed 
stout.

Now, if you'll recall, I actually don't drink, so for me to really enjoy this beer and its bold, roasted malt flavor, I had to come up with some recipes that would showcase just that.

Thankfully, my husband joined in on the fun, too, and we've come up with a glorious week of  
[[stout-tastic]] bliss.


Let's start the fun then, shall we?

~•Recipe #1•~

♥STOUT CUPCAKES♥
From "Martha Stewart's Cupcakes"

Makes 24-30 cupcakes

Ingredients:
3 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. plus 1/8 t. baking soda
1 3/4 t. baking powder
1 1/4 t. salt
1 T. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 1/4 c. unsulfured molasses
1/2 c. plus 1 T. packed light-brown sugar
2 large whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
1 T. plus 1 t. finely grated orange zest
1 1/4 c. (10 oz.) stout beer, such as Guinness, poured and settled
Stout Glaze (recipe follows)

Directions:
  1. HEAT oven to 350°F and line standard muffin tins with paper liners.
  2. WHISK together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  3. BEAT together oil, molasses, brown sugar, whole eggs, yolk, zest, and stout on medium-low speed until combined.
  4. ADD flour mixture; beat until just combined.
  5. DIVIDE batter among cups, filling each three-quarters full.  
  6. BAKE, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean (about 20 minutes).
  7. COOL on wire racks. 

    *TIP:
    Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature or frozen up to 2 months in airtight containers.

  8.  To finish, place cupcakes on a wire rack set over a baking sheet; spoon glaze over cupcakes and let set.  Cupcakes are best eaten the day they are glazed; keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
STOUT GLAZE: Whisk together 2 c. confectioner's sugar, sifted, and 1/4 c. stout beer, such as Guinness, poured and settled.  Use immediately.  **NOTE** I found that this was barely enough to drizzle over my cupcakes.  Maybe it's because I'm such a frosting nut anyway that glaze doesn't really do it for me, but I could barely get a full tablespoon on each cupcake, and I only made 24 cupcakes!  




Since I only had enough room for two cupcake tins in my oven, I filled those both and used the remaining batter to make a little double layer 6-inch round cake.  I iced it with a lemon buttercream on top and cream cheese frosting in the middle.  That way, I still got my frosting fix.  Silly glazes -- who uses those, anyway??  Pfft... glaze is like frosting for wimps.  If you can't stand the sugar, get out of the kitchen!*





This recipe is just great.  Those little cupcakes are packed with such a rich, spicy flavor that I had a hard time keeping Mr. Dot's grubby little mitts off 'em.  They taste like a spice cake -- a moist, dark, spice cake with a little zing of orange.  I definitely recommend you give this one a try!

[]

*Just as a side note before I start getting hate mail, I am fully aware of the dangers associated with mass sugar consumption.  As the daughter of a diabetic father, niece of three diabetic uncles, and reformed overweight child myself, I genuinely appreciate the idea of sugar in moderation.  However, I also genuinely appreciate frosting.  It's a vicious life I lead.

13 comments:

  1. ooh those look soo good, could I talk ya into bringing me one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. long live quality icing! looks delicious!


    *from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks really good!I will try this, thank you.

    http://www.beewisebags.com/Bee_Wise_Bags/Bags.inspiration.life./Bags.inspiration.life..html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. This looks amazing. I'm definitely craving something sweet now.

    -Sarah

    oh and P.S. I'm new here and your blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to stop by from SITS when I saw that you are having a Beer Week. What a fantastic idea! As a side note, I am banned from using the word persnickety. I miss it. It was nice to see it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good! I've never been a beer drinker and really only have maybe a glass of wine every now and then, but the bubby is a big Guinness fan. I might just have to make this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that mustache picture. LOVE.

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, beer and cake, two of life's little pleasures. I've never tried making a beer-cake. Sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who da' thought, beer cupcakes. Love it. You'd better not get hate mail...there will be an uprising of your fans.
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting you know hubs and I aren't drinkers either, but cooking with liquour usually ends up good. Beer in cupcakes though that's a new one. I'm a little curious now I must admit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK the mustache is funny-cute, the cupcakes are adorable, and the cake yummy! You're one talented gal. Oh and yes, stoutastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look A-mayyy-zing!! I can't wait to try them when I have some time to bake. :)

    jasmin

    P.S. cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making icing with powdered sugar; in the "old days" that's about all we had. hahaha

    Those look especially GOOD!! :)

    ReplyDelete