Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I'm a Changed Woman

I must admit -- I used to be an unbeliever.

I used to think that I couldn't bake brownies.

I used to think that it was...too difficult.

I would overbake them; I would underbake them; they would stick to my apparently unnecessarily-greased pan.

Bottom line:  
I LOATHED [making] BROWNIES.

That is, until I met these little beauties.

Yep, you guessed it...
{STOUT BROWNIES}

These little brownies behaved so well.

They baked for the amount of time they promised they'd bake.

They didn't stick to the pan.

They even had a toothpick test and guess what?  
THEY PASSED.

I'm so pleased with these brownies.

They're everything a good brownie should be:

Moist, decadent, and fudgy.
Plus,
there are chocolate chips on top.

MmmMMMmmmmmMMMMMMMmmmm.

If you like dark chocolate
(or are a fan of chocolate that isn't too sweet), 
these are definitely for you.

This recipe combines three different kinds of chocolate to create a rich, dark chocolate flavor that only serves to enhance the bold stout.

May I introduce you to:

~•Recipe #4•~


♥STOUT BROWNIES♥
Adapted from Cookie Madness

Makes 15 Miss Dot-sized-brownies or 36 normal-person-brownies.  
Who knew?


Ingredients:
1 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 t. salt
6 T. unsalted room temperature butter, cut into cubes
6 oz. dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 c. white chocolate chips
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 c. granulated sugar
10 oz. (1 1/4 c.) stout (she used Guinness Extra Stout) -- room temperature
3/4 t. vanilla
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/8 cup confectioners sugar for dusting (optional)

Directions:
  1. HEAT oven to 375°F.  Line a 9"x13" baking pan with a nonstick foil like Reynolds Release *TIP: I didn't have nonstick foil so I just lined the pan with regular foil and then sprayed it with cooking spray.
  2. WHISK together flour, salt, and cocoa powder until combined.  Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, MELT butter, bittersweet chocolate, and white chocolate chips in a double boiler over very low heat, stirring constantly until melted.  Remove from heat.  Alternatively, you may do this in the microwave by microwaving on high and stirring every 30 seconds.
  4. In a separate bowl, BEAT eggs and sugar together on high until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
  5. ADD melted chocolate mixture to sugar-egg mixture; beat until combined.
  6. BEAT flour mixture into chocolate mixture.
  7. WHISK in stout.
  8. POUR into prepared pan and drop semisweet chocolate chips on top of batter.  Some will sink in; this is fine.
  9. BAKE for 25-30 minutes on center rack in oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
  10. COOL; Dust with confectioners sugar before serving. 





This recipe has been Swedish Chef-approved!

11 comments:

  1. Uh...you had me a beer week but you failed to mention that it included these yummy brownies. I am SO going to try this. Can I post this recipe and a link back to you on my site when I make them? You think midnight is too late to go out and buy some Guiness to make these? The hubby probably does. Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm you are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmm stop it stop it now I am dehydrating from droolingon here so much these days lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I have dribbled all over my laptop now they look so yummy.

    I am trying to cook new things at the moment so I think will try these at some point. Thanks for sharing I think my partner will be very pleased when he comes home from work and I have made these for him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had brownies in WAY too long. You've already packaged some to send over here, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love brownies, and I love beer. I think these were made just for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never heard of beer being used making brownies. I seriously need to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you tell me why I wasn't following you yet??? I truly thought I was!!! Until today I started thinking I wasn't seeing anything about your blog on my Google Reader so I decided I had to come here and check what was going on! AND NO... I wasn't following you! DUH! It seems I've been missing a lot! But it also seems I got here just on time for a great recipe! Those brownies look PERFECT! I am so happy they behaved for you! I will try to make them soon!

    So... I am a new follower (though a not so new fan) of your blog now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. First cupcakes------NOW BROWNIES.

    You are killing me here.

    When I come visit you, I would like a few of these along with the sexy cupcakes, please.

    They look DIVINE. I wonder if I could pull it off?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg...those look SO good right now.

    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love brownies and they usually work out great for me. those look heavenly

    ReplyDelete