Monday, January 25, 2010

Pancakes??? More like MANcakes!!!

So the wife asked me do a guest post on this little blog thing she's got going...bear with me as I'm not what you'd call an avid blogger. In fact, I don't know that I've ever blogged. The closest I've been is updating my facebook status more than once a month. So here goes something...

For those of you out there on the interwebs who don't know anything about me (which I'm pretty sure is like 98.4% of everyone reading this), I'm what most people would consider a man. And by that I mean I am a male of my species and have reached an age that allows me to do everything from buying lottery tickets to renting a car. So for quite a while, I also assumed I was a man. That was until I came across what is quite possibly the coolest website ever (besides this one of course). The Art of Manliness is like a guide to becoming the man that our grandfathers and great-grandfathers were. With articles covering everything from manly skills to how to get a manly shave, it is a treasure chest of thoughts and tips on how to be a Man.

While there are numerous articles that I could get into to show you how cool it is to be a Man, that's not why I'm here (plus I'm pretty sure that most of you reading this are of the female persuasion). My purpose today is to tell you about the delicious pancakes that I made. "What do pancakes have to do with a website about shaving and plumbing?" you may ask. Well let me enlighten you to the wonder that is the FREE Art of Manliness Man Cookbook. AoM put this together back in October 2008, but I just recently discovered it. It is a compilation of recipes by AoM readers (which is sometimes evident in the way the recipes are written) for Men and their female counterparts. And boy was I excited to try some of the recipes.

Note: You did have to subscribe to AoM via RSS feed or email to get the FREE cookbook, but it's well worth it.

I decided to give the Beer Batter Pancakes found on page 18 a try. The recipe is simple, but the pancakes are amazing. I attribute part of this to the fact that I had recently acquired a six pack of a friend of mine's home-brewed stout (that Miss Dot has been and will continue utilizing all week). While the recipe didn't call for such a flavorful brew, I really think that these flapjacks tasted just a little more manly with such a tasty base. For those of you without access to my secret stash, I think a dark beer like Guinness or a darker micro-brew would be great here as well.

Well I'm sure you're wondering when I'm going to actually get to the recipe and all that fun stuff. Well you're in luck, because here it comes.

~•Recipe #2•~

Beer Batter Pancakes
By Steve from MKE (with some additions by me)

from The Art of Manliness Man Cookbook


Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup beer
2 tablespoons melted butter

Directions
Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl





Pour 1/4 cup of batter on whatever surface you normally make pancakes on


 
Wait until bubbles appear



Flip



Cover in warm maple syrup



Enjoy!!!






So there you have it. Not only did I make delicious pancakes, but I also successfully wrote a delicious blog post for the wife. I'm sure you have lots of great comments to leave me now, so go ahead and get to it. Thanks for letting me stop by for a few minutes.

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I can convey how wildly happy my boyfriend is going to be when he sees this. VERY cool.

    So glad you found my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow they sound delish.
    Think you could come and teach my partner a thing or two? ;-)

    Thanks for stopping by for your guest post. Look forward to reading more from you both.

    Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! Might have to try them over at my house...

    And Miss Dot you sure have a good hubby. He did a great job guest posting, I doubt my manly-man would even attempt to cook pancakes let along post on my blog! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should enter them here http://www.omnomicon.com/rrr-pancakes it's a contest you have to enter it asap. if you win there is a prize.

    ReplyDelete